Tuesday, February 16, 2016

learning to hunger for Christ





It is only the first week of Lent and it is already clear to me that this year’s 40-day pilgrimage is going to be different. 

Some things, of course, are not. I am already procrastinating about making any real changes –and I admit that I am all too willing to find just the perfect explanation (aka. excuse) to break my resolutions.

Yes, already, after only six days of Lent!

All that aside, it does feel different. 

Perhaps it’s the convergence of Lent and the Year of Mercy? Or maybe it is celebrating this Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy within the context of publicity for my new book and my efforts to make known Father Stanley Rother’s inspiring life?  Or all of the above?

Something is helping me take notice… and hear… what I often and normally miss.



“…we pray, O Lord,
that we may learn to hunger for Christ,
the true and living Bread,
and strive to live by every word
which proceeds from your mouth.”
~ prayer after communion, 1st Sunday of Lent


My God, I am yours for time and eternity. Teach me to cast myself entirely into the arms of your loving Providence with a lively, unlimited confidence in your compassionate, tender pity. Grant, O most merciful Redeemer, that whatever you ordain or permit may be acceptable to me. Take from my heart all painful anxiety; let nothing sadden me but sin, nothing delight me but the hope of coming to the possession of You my God and my all, in your everlasting kingdom. Amen.

But maybe a ‘leap’ isn’t the most appropriate metaphor for this spiritual journey… we are called to ‘continuing conversion.’ We do not simply just fall deeper and deeper into our faith after our baptism or initial conversion. We are called to keep jumping. We talk of that ‘leap of faith,’ but our reality is one of multiple leaps, every day. Tiny jumps, or steps, even, sometimes just the distance it takes for our feet to go from the bed to the floor. It is that forward motion that keeps us going, that keeps saying that today will be better. Today I will try harder. Today I might fail. But I am still loved.”
~Kerry Weber, reflecting on RCIA
“Rite of Calling the Candidates to Continuing Conversion,” 
from her gem of a book,



 [ all photos © Maria Ruiz Scaperlanda, 2016 ]


No comments:

Post a Comment