Tuesday, August 11, 2020

on this my birthday week

 








This is my birthday week. 

 

And it’s not just any birthday, it’s one of those birthdays that is attached to a superlative -- a banner, landmark, milestone birthday.  

 

On August 13, a birth day I share with Fidel Castro (although THAT deserves its own separate headline!), I will turn 60. 

 

I was sharing my thoughts on this with my remarkable 89-year-old mom, who as usual, had an insightful suggestion. Instead of rolling my  eyes  and moaning about the idea of being 60, she said, take the time to write down a list of my blessings. 

 

“¡Ya verás que tu lista de bendiciones va a ser mucho más larga que tus años!”

 

So here is my list. And because 60 is such a HUGE number, I have tried to keep each to one word—with a few exceptions. Also, I decided that listing the 22 members of my Tribe individually would be, well, cheating. 

 

My SIXTY blessings, in no specific order: 

 

1.     My faith

2.     Culture

3.     Cuba

4.     Caribbean

5.     Music

6.     Being woman

7.     Mother Mary

8.     Parents

9.     Refugee / immigrant

10.  Health

11.  Family together

12.  Heart

13.  Humor

14.  Michael

15.  Intuition

16.  Saints

17.  touch

18.  Color

19.  Perspective

20.  Nature

21.  Walking

22.  Camino de Santiago

23.  Singing

24.  Old friends

25.  beauty

26.  Technology

27.  service

28.  brother

29.  Writing

30.  Prayer

31.  Silence

32.  My Grands

33.  My Awesome Foursome

34.  Motherhood

35.  Playfulness

36.  Dancing

37.  Grandmothering

38.  Creating

39.  Traveling

40.  Home

41.  My body, as is

42.  Women in my life

43.  Food

44.  Desire to be real

45.  cooking

46.  flowers/planting

47.  art

48.  hugs

49.  poetry

50.  ocean/beach

51.  sunshine

52.  moon

53.  photos/images

54.  holy examples

55.  laughter

56.  washing machines

57.  animal companions

58.  breath

59.  surprises

60.  being alive to celebrate 60!

 

Mami was right, of course.  

The correct title should not be, “My 60 blessings,” but rather, “Sixty of my blessings”! 










8 comments:

  1. Wonderful and blessed birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday dear Maria! You are a blessing to many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feliz Navidad querida M de L! Eres una bendición para mi y tantas personas en este mundo! Gracias por compartir tu luz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops...queria decir Feliz Cumpleanos, pero la verdad es que veo a Cristo tanto en tu vida que piensa en su cumpleanos tambien!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of homeowners choose to hire foreclosure attorneys because they are knowledgeable about the whole process of a foreclosure and what is expected from them. Source for more about estavillolaw.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An interesting article to read,, Introduce me to promote the best blogs that write content about Catholic Daily Devotionals.
    to read visit www.blogevan.com. Jesus Bless You. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracias prima por compartir tus bendiciones,te quiero mucho

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the most important things to know is that there are different types of foreclosure attorneys to choose from. They have ample years dealing with similar cases and also possess considerable knowledge about the Estavillo law firm.

    ReplyDelete