Friday, May 10, 2013

if a picture is worth a thousand words...


The Areopagus and the Acropolis in Athens

Standing at the Areopagus overlooking the Acropolis was a dreamlike experience.

In classical times, the “Rock of Ares” or Areios Pagos, north-west of the Acropolis, functioned as the high Court of Appeal for criminal and civil cases in Athens.

To my right , the famous collection of ancient Greek  buildings on the hill, including the Parthenon.  In front and to my left, the modern city of Athens.

It was not difficult to picture the Apostle Paul standing on this sacred rock, delivering his speech to the Athenians. I closed my eyes, felt the June warmth and the wind across my face, and imagined Paul saying:
“You Athenians, I see that in every respectyou are very religious.For as I walked around looking carefully at your shrines,
I even discovered an altar inscribed, ‘To an Unknown God.’
What therefore you unknowingly worship, I proclaim to you. 
The God who made the world and all that is in it,the Lord of heaven and earth…it is he who gives to everyone life and breath and everything.He made from one the whole human raceto dwell on the entire surface of the earth,
and he fixed the ordered seasons and the boundaries of their regions,
so that people might seek God,
even perhaps grope for him and find him,
though indeed he is not far from any one of us. 
For ‘In him we live and move and have our being,’as even some of your poets have said.” 

+   +   +   +   +

If a picture speaks a thousand words, how much better is it to be in the picture? 
Imagine --not only reading Scripture, but standing where Jesus stood and being where Mother Mary lived.



Come and see for yourself -- join national missionary Fr. Bruce Nieli and I on a pilgrimage of Israel and Turkey, walking in the Footsteps of Mother Mary!


Questions? Contact me: mymaria@me.com  


No comments:

Post a Comment