Friday, July 31, 2020

of hearts and memories and home and peach trees and turning 60













Three years ago, my family surprised me with fruit trees for my birthday – a pear, a plum, and a peach tree. As is always true in life, I had no clue then how much my life was getting ready to change or how different my daily landscape would become.

 

Fast forward to last Spring, the months when all my energy became focused on going to heart rehab -- and on the reality of moving and finding a new house in Oklahoma City.

 

As I look back on it now, it’s downright humorous to see how the two became one!

 

For the past year and a bit, I have felt an undeniable parallel connection between the house we lovingly called Casa Scap and my body. It may sound ridiculous, but as I’ve struggled and stumbled over the physical changes and reality of a heart condition and my aging body, I have also fought and cried over the changes and the letting go of that old but familiar home of 23 years.

 

I know it’s just a house. And I know we will make new memories in the new house. Believe me, I know. That Waverly Ct house was the 23rd house I have lived in! 

 

It’s not just about the memories, or the stories, or the Sacraments that we have celebrated there – from First Communions and weddings, to baby showers for my Grands. 

 

It’s not just about my wrinkles, or the sagging, or the new scars and meds – or the fact that I’ll be turning SIXTY in a couple of weeks.

 

It’s about ALL of it. 

 

Saying goodbye to our Norman home reminds me – no, REFLECTS and visualizes for me, how my role as a mother has changed, how different my life as a grandmother is now, and how precious is the life we have left, both as a couple and as individuals. 

 

The last time I walked through our Waverly Court house a few days ago, my eyes watered as I could see with my heart’s eyes the many beautiful moments we experienced there. I consciously and deliberately offered prayers of thanksgiving for the walls and rooms that allowed us to welcome and love the dozens, or rather hundreds, of young people over the years. 

 

And I brought home, to our new house, a bag full of pears and peaches. I laughed out loud when I saw that the fruit trees were loaded with peaches and pears – for the first time, ever! 


Oh, God’s sense of humor…













2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the glimpses of life - past, present, and future that surround you on all sides and pour out from within you! Your life, like the trees are a living witness to God's love and fruitfulness!

    ReplyDelete