Wednesday, October 1, 2014

remembering Thérèse, on her feast day

Icon of Thérèse hanging in my bedroom
"Outside the Divine Office, which I am very unworthy to recite, I do not have the courage to force myself to search out beautiful prayers in books. There are so many of them it really gives me a headache! and each prayer is more beautiful than the others! I cannot recite them all and, not knowing which to choose, I do like children who do not know how to read, I say very simply to God what I wish to tell him, without composing beautiful sentences, and He always understands me."
(ICS Publications) 

I love Thérèse's humor, and above all, I love and I'm grateful for her example as a heart completely open and genuine with God. 

Even her personal definition of "prayer" emphasizes interior authenticity and spontaneity: "For me, prayer is an aspiration of the heart, it is a simple glance directed to Heaven, it is a cry of gratitude and love in the midst of trial as well as joy; it is something great, supernatural, which expands my soul and unites me with Jesus."

Teach me your way of confidence and trust, Saint Thérèse! 

+   +   +

A few pictures from our visit to the Lisieux Carmel last year on our French pilgrimage:




To see the rest of the post, click here, and also here!

+   +   +
One final NOTE

   I highly recommend Heather King's book, "Shirt of Flame:                                                                               a year with St. Thérèse of Lisieux,"                                                                   an insightful and provocative reflection on this timeless saint! 



No comments:

Post a Comment