Friday, February 7, 2014

angels watching over me... all day

Gorgeous angel in front of the Pauline Books & Media store
When Michael and I left our home yesterday morning, it was 8 degrees and snowing in Norman and Oklahoma City. A mere handful of hours later we landed at LAX, where the temperature was a balmy 60 degrees.

Needless to say, I’m in heaven. 
we began the day with daily Mass at Our Lady of Malibu 
the view from Pepperdine University

As if the warmer temperatures were not enough, I am spending the next few days writing and staring at the ocean—while my husband attends a conference on “Law and Love” at Pepperdine University. 

I can already confirm that this was a good way to spend my airline miles!

I brought with me enough research material to tackle one, maybe two good chapters of my book project while I’m here.

In my experience writing a book, the early stages in the process always make me feel a bit overwhelmed by the picture I see. As I whittle at it little by little, not only does the picture become clearer, but the process itself seems to find a natural rhythm that leads me in directions I couldn’t even see until I was “there.”

In a very real way, it’s a lot like going on pilgrimage. 

I am convinced that a pilgrimage begins the moment you decide that you’re going on one. In those early stages of preparation, it all looks and feels “big,” too big!

But this feeling (for lack of a better word) is only temporary—and as I continue to make progress on this project it’s important that I remember that.  As my dear Pat Stankus often reminded me, just enjoy it. It will pass!

It was easy to enjoy today.

the amazing Sr Rose!
I had a delicious lunch with my lovely and talented friend Sr Rose Pacatte, and even got to see her “writing space”  at the Pauline Center for Media Studies, as well as the impressive store run by her community, the Daughters of St. Paul, in Culver City. By the way, if you go, be sure to drop by their beautiful chapel in their store!


Just talking with Sr Rose was energizing and inspiring! 

On the way back to Malibu, I was enthralled by the beautiful drive along California’s PCH and made several stops along the way. 

Wishing you inspiration and blessings this weekend. And if you don’t hear from me for a few days, say a prayer for my writing project!

a few shots of my drive north on Cali's PCH:






No comments:

Post a Comment