Sunday, August 18, 2013

be at peace


Elenita, 2013
Year passes after year silently; Christ’s coming is ever nearer than it was. O that, as he comes nearer earth, we may approach nearer heaven! You have one work only: to bear your cross after him. Resolve in his strength to do so. Resolve to be no longer beguiled by ‘shadows of religion,’ by words, or by disputings, or by notions, or by high professions, or by excuses, or by the world’s promises or threats. Pray him to give you what Scripture calls ‘an honest and good heart,’ or ‘a perfect heart,’ and, without waiting, begin at once to obey him with the best heart you have. Any obedience is better than none… Every act of obedience is an approach—an approach to him who is not far off though he seems so, but close behind this visible screen of things which hides him from us. The day will come when he will rend that veil, and show himself to us… May this be the portion of every one of us! It is hard to attain it; but it is woeful to fail. Life is short; death is certain and the world to come is everlasting.”
~John Henry Newman (†1890)

Do not look forward to the changes and chances of this life with fear. Rather, look to them with full confidence that, as they arise, God to whom you belong will in his love enable you to profit by them. He has guided you thus far in life. Do you but hold fast to His dear hand, and He will lead you safely through all trials. Whenever you cannot stand, He will carry you lovingly in his arms. 
 Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow. The same Eternal Father who takes care of you today will take care of you tomorrow, and every day of your life. Either He will shield you from suffering or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it. 
 Be at peace then, and put aside all useless thoughts, all vain dreads and all anxious imaginations.
~ Francis de Sales (†1622)


I have been obsessed all weekend with a song.

In all honesty, that’s not unusual for me. When a song or piece of music surprises me, especially from an unexpected source, I set it to play and I keep it on replay ad nauseum – usually wearing headphones – so that I can really listen and decipher what about it touches my heart.

Here’s what I’ve heard:

Made a wrong turn, Once or twice
Dug my way out, Blood and fire
Bad decisions, that's alright
Welcome to my silly life

You're so mean,
When you talk, about yourself, you were wrong.
Change the voices, in your head
Make them like you Instead.
The whole world stares so I swallow the fear,
The only thing I should be drinking is an ice cold beer.

So cool in line and we try, try, try,
But we try too hard, it's a waste of my time.

Done looking for the critics, cause they're everywhere
They don't like my jeans, they don't get my hair
We change ourselves and we do it all the time
Why do we do that? Why do I do that?
(Why do I do that?)

Here’s a YouTube video of it:

Perfect promo NYC, acustic 

Tonight, as you go to sleep, may you hear God whispering in your ear what most of us never really believe:
Pretty, pretty please

Don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less than less than perfect.
Pretty, pretty please
If you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing
You are perfect to me.


~Lyrics to “Perfect” by P!nk 
[note: when you look it up, be sure to search for the “clean” version!]



No comments:

Post a Comment