Thursday, January 3, 2013

Tolkien, the Inklings, and drinking at the Eagle and Child

"I believe that legends and myths 
are largely made of ’truth'."

It's all over the bloggesphere that today would have been J. R. R Tolkien's 121st birthday. 

I've never understood figuring out how old a dead person would be on any certain year or day, but, I'll go along with featuring this great Catholic writer who has gifted literature, beauty and culture in such a unique and powerful way.

Everything I've been reading has also brought me memories of drinking a pint at the Eagle & Child Pub in Oxford, England, with my teenage children and pretending we were members of the Inklings writers' group, chatting it up with Tolkien and his good friend C. S. Lewis.



Check out this collection of Tolkien quotes put together by the Huffinton Post.

And my favorite, this collection of videos of J.R.R. Tolkien featured in the Dallas News.

Finally, here's dramatization of a debate/conversation that could have taken place between Tolkien and his good friend C.S. Lewis on myth and lies.




No comments:

Post a Comment