Tuesday, January 29, 2013

To be human is to be beautifully flawed

This past weekend Michael and I watched the movie "October Baby" (2011).

Without giving away any spoilers, there's a scene where a minor character makes a statement that has stuck with me. Officer Mitchell, tells 19-year-old Hannah:
"To be human is to be beautifully flawed"
The movie deals with many heavy themes: adoption, abortion, coming-of-age, chronic illness, family. Just the word "abortion" made many reviewers dismiss the movie. Others criticized the acting or the uneven storyline. I'm not a movie critic, so I'll post two differing views at the bottom to help you decide.

What I enjoyed about the movie was its focus on forgiveness, healing and, ultimately, redemption.  While genuine healing and forgiveness require grace, it is up to me to make the first move, to take even the smallest action to get there. And perhaps the journey truly begins by embracing that we are, indeed, all beautifully flawed. For me, that was the heart of the movie.

Official trailer, October Baby

Here's a reviewer who enjoyed the film, even with its flaws.

SPOILER ALERT: If you don't want to know too much about what happens in October Baby, don't watch this movie review by my good friend, Sr. Rose Pacatte, who found the movie too preachy.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see this movie - I have to put it in my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete