Sunday, December 1, 2019

I confess... I miss anxiety






It’s just one word. 

But I still notice it, almost every time. 

I miss “anxiety.”

It's been eight years now since the new English translation of the Roman Missal was implemented in Catholic parishes across the country on the first Sunday of Advent--back in 2011.

At our own parish, we were well prepared for the changes by our pastor, who arranged very helpful homilies, over several weeks, and even started using the new language two months early! It was his way of helping us to focus on Advent-- and not on whether we were getting the words “right.”

At the time, as we worked on the transition as a community, I found it very helpful to keep in mind the responses we say at Mass in Spanish.  The 2011 English translation parallels those Spanish responses much better than the previous one ever did.

Yet there is one point at Mass that still stalls me.

Right after we say the Our Father, the celebrant’s prayer that leads to the Sign of Peace, currently says:
Deliver us, Lord, we pray, from every evil, graciously grant peace in our days, that, by the help of your mercy, we may be always free from sin and safe from all distress, as we await the blessed hope and the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
But prior to Advent 2011, the prayer was:
Deliver us, Lord, from every evil,
and grant us peace in our day.
In your mercy keep us free from sin
and protect us from all anxiety
as we wait in joyful hope
for the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ. 
Protect us from ALL ANXIETY.

There is nothing wrong with distress. But I genuinely miss begging God, as a community, to protect us from anxiety, all anxiety.

+     +     +

NOTE:
I have two free Advent Apps from MAGNIFICAT to give away!! 
Please leave a blog message or private message me if you’d like one!! 
First come first serve.

Happy first day of Advent! 









1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I hadn't noticed -- and now it is inescapable! Oh when we see with new eyes! I have say that it is a powerful prayer. We are, I think, so anxious today, but perturbación is heavier than distress, no? Always making me think, Maria. :-)

    ReplyDelete