Wednesday, June 24, 2015

if I open my hands... surrender and mercy

open hands by Joseph Gurney
“Though I thought I had toiled in vain, and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength, yet my reward is with the Lord, my recompense is with my God. For now the Lord has spoken who formed me as his servant from the womb… and I am made glorious in the sight of the Lord, and my God is now my strength.” 
~Book of the Prophet Isaiah 49: 4-5, 
today’s first reading 
on the Solemnity of John the Baptist

Have you ever poured yourself into a project (or a direction in life) that keeps getting harder and harder, but instead of lifting up your head to see if God is showing you a different way, a change in direction, you instead decide that the answer must be to simply try harder!?

Then one day, maybe years later, the bell goes off and it becomes as obvious and tangible as a hot cup of coffee… if I open my hands all the way, the Lord will take my hand and show me the way, a new way—His way.


Seems like a Camino lesson I have to keep re-learning.

Thank God He never gives up on me.

Not only that, but in God's eternal and abundant mercy, even that which I then come to consider useless and for nothing becomes glorious when I offer it back to God.


“It is you, O Lord, who are my hope,
my trust, O Lord, since my youth.
On you I have leaned from my birth,
From my mother’s womb you have been my help.
My hope has always been in you.”
~Psalm 71: 5-6, 
from today’s Morning Prayer

+   +   +   +

Are you in Buffalo for the Catholic Media Conference? 

Join me tomorrow morning, Room 107, for Morning Prayer!



No comments:

Post a Comment