Friday, April 5, 2013

shall we dance?


I have a confession to make. 


Much to my family's chagrin, I love to watch Dancing with the Stars

I admit that I enjoy some of the (often overly) dramatic backstory on the stars that end up taking up most of the show's time. After all, I can’t remember the last time I heard about Olympic gold medalist Dorothy Hamill's life!

But what I truly cherish is watching those rare moments when two talented dancers come together and become "a couple" on the dance floor

It’s a powerful metaphor. To move so in tune and attentive one with the other that only a light touch is needed, instinctively moving to the same rhythm.
A good relationship has a pattern like a dance and is built on some of the same rules. The partners do not need to hold on tightly, because they move confidently in the same pattern, intricate but gay and swift and free, like a country dance of Mozart’s. To touch heavily would be to arrest the pattern and freeze the movement, to check the endlessly changing beauty of its unfolding. There is no place here for the possessive clutch, the clinging arm, the heavy hand, only the barest touch in passing. Now arm in arm, now face to face, now back to back—it does not matter which. Because they know they are partners moving to the same rhythm, creating a pattern together, and being invisibly nourished by it. The joy of such a pattern is not only the joy of creation or the joy of participation, it is also the joy of living in the moment.”

~Anne Morrow Lindbergh, “Gift from the Sea”



Not exactly Mozart... but a fun clip:
Gabby Logan and dance partner James Jordan, Jive -- BBC, Dancing with the Stars

2 comments:

  1. This made me think of this song: http://www.mariebellet.com/lyrics.php?cdid=3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, thank you! it din't take me directly to one song... but I enjoyed "discovering" her :-)

      Delete