Wednesday, March 13, 2013

balance


Putting a new string on my guitar is a matter of proper balance. String it too tight and it won’t play. String it too loose and it hangs with a thud. Finding the proper tension that produces the beautiful sound requires patience, firmness––and a steady hand.


Finding balance in the many areas of my life is like that string. Go too much outside of myself and I forget the fundamentals of daily silence. Retreat too much into myself, and I lose sight of service for the Body of Christ in the people around me.

More often than not, proper balance becomes a discipline of the will, a daily act of patient endurance—several times a day! Yet it all becomes doable when I am like the tree mentioned in the first psalm––with its roots planted in daily prayer, deep into the stream of He who is my Living water.   

Rio Frio
Leakey, Texas

2 comments:

  1. As is so often the case, I arrive your blog, and find the wisdom that I need. Firmly planted. Living water. Balance.

    Thank you!

    And I love that photo of the river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so love that we're walking together, Fran! and yes, I love that river... I go there every fall with a group of faith women friends to be renewed by its water :-)

      Delete