Monday, January 21, 2013

MLK, Jr: "I've been to the mountaintop" + announcing the winner of CRAVINGS


"And that's all this whole thing is about. We aren't engaged in any negative protest and in any negative arguments with anybody. We are saying that we are determined to be men. We are determined to be people. We are saying -- We are saying that we are God's children. And that we are God's children, we don't have to live like we are forced to live...
Let us rise up tonight with a greater readiness. Let us stand with a greater determination. And let us move on in these powerful days, these days of challenge to make America what it ought to be. We have an opportunity to make America a better nation. And I want to thank God, once more, for allowing me to be here with you...
Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land! 
And so I'm happy, tonight. 
I'm not worried about anything. 
I'm not fearing any man! 
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!"
~Martin Luther King, Jr. [3 April, 1968]


Excerpt from Martin Luther King, Jr's final speech,
delivered 3 April 1968, Mason Temple (Church of God in Christ Headquarters), Memphis, Tennessee.
He was assassinated in Memphis the next day, April 4, 1968.

---------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------


And the winner of a copy of "CRAVINGS: A Catholic wrestles with food, self-image and God," is....

ERIN! Unfortunately, I don't have any specific information (other than her comment name) to let Erin know she won... so, Erin, if you're reading this, please drop me an email with your whole name and address! mymaria@me.com

No comments:

Post a Comment