Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Advent listening with clogged ears




For the past ten days, I’ve been walking around with a stopped up left ear. Like a sink in need of Roto-Rooter, it gargles, whistles, thumps, hums, but never clears.

When I mentioned this to my daughter Michelle, she wisely pointed out, 
“Sounds like an Advent thing to me, Mom.” 
So I took her words to heart. I have been pondering in my prayer and throughout the day on Advent, listening, ears, awareness. Waiting for some sage insight.

And I’ve got nothing.


No matter how much I try, I can’t have true silence or complete quiet for reflection and clarity. The humming in my ear never stops, even when the gurgling and thumping do. I want it taken care of right now so that the Advent and Christmas music I love won’t sound like a middle school orchestra is playing it. And yes, if I could I would put in one of those metal snakes that go deep underground to clear my pipes and get everything flowing smoothly again.



But instead, I have to wait. Wait for the antibiotic to heal. Wait for the congestion to clear. Wait for the music to sound on key once again.

Like a pregnant woman, I anticipate in trusting expectation the miracle I know will take place. But in the meantime, my body is off key, bloated, uncomfortable—and I’m ready to be done with this temporary moment in my life. I wait, and I anticipate.

Perhaps I am in the spirit of Advent after all. 


4 comments:

  1. Very Advent, very, very Advent related thoughts. I pray for your holy waiting Maria, and for your ears to be opened and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Fran! waiting is often uncomfortable, isn't it? Blessings to you, my friend! You've been my surprise blessed gift this Fall :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this Advent devotion. I too am waiting, I had surgery on the 13th and am not able to put any weight on my right foot. This has caused me to have to sit back and wait.. patiently waiting is hard for me. I always want to do it myself. I read several devotions this morning and they all pointed to how I need to patiently wait. But I have realized that Christmas comes whether I run around and do all the shopping two days before or if I am sitting waiting. Kimberly Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, thanks for your comment. I'm so sorry to hear about your "forced waiting" -- that is the most difficult kind! As someone who has had several surgeries the past few years, I want to encourage you to be kind and patient with your body as you wait. There's simply no substitute for time when it comes to healing! Imagine what you would say to a good friend who is in your position... and try to be that gentle and kind with yourself! I'll be keeping you in my prayers, maría

      Delete