Saturday, November 24, 2012

When pain is prayer


In a recent post in her outstanding blog SHIRT OF FLAME, author Heather King featured an interview by Calvin Lashway with the author of a new book about Catholic writer Flannery O'Connor.

The book is titled, “The Terrible Speed of Mercy: ASpiritual Biography of Flannery O'Connor” by Jonathan Rogers (and is on my Christmas list!). O'Connor, by the way, suffered for years from, and died of lupus at the age of 39.
Flannery at her Georgia home

The title of that blog post is also a quote by O’Connor—“Sickness is a place.”

As I pondered that conscious and honest statement, I remembered a time when my own experience with sickness taught me a very personal lesson, one that can only be learned if and when you are in that place


Pain can be prayer.
“Recently I confided to my prayer group friends that I just can’t pray, at least, not in the way I’m used to praying. Not only does it physically hurt to sit at my prayer chair, I can’t make myself do the familiar prayers and contemplation that I’ve done for years,” I wrote in my journal. 
“As I shared this with my group, I benefited greatly from hearing and sharing stories from others about times when prayer has been difficult, or impossible. But my friend Scott simply smiled at me, and with his usual wise insight, suggested, “Maria, your pain IS your prayer right now.”

4 comments:

  1. Maria, oh my. It seems that your pain is your prayer right now. I am praying with you, thinking about how we walk and pray with others, even if our prayer is but a breath, our pain, our being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran. All is well. All manner of things shall be well!

      Delete
  2. Maria, my friend, I just left the bedside of my father, who was taken by ambulance to the E.R. the night before Thanksgiving. It was pneumonia, and possibly other things. They are doing some testing. It was difficult to see him suffer -- my dad. Aren't our dads supposed to be strong and hold us up? So, I am thinking of his pain tonight, and how, I hope, he can see it as his prayer. What a prayer it is. So happy to be reminded of Flannery, too. What an amazing individual. Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxane, thank you for dropping by--and for sharing this with me! I will hold your dad in my heart and prayers. I was reminded yesterday at Mass about Teresa of Avila's attitude regarding prayer: ask God for big things, he is a BIG GOD! :-) Sending you love from here.

      Delete