Tuesday, April 16, 2019

I'm here to remind you that it's only the beginning






“He who names Himself “God with us” 
never stops suffering with us.”

+   +   +

"No human heart has ever entered into such a dark night as that God/Man in Gethsemane and on Golgotha. No searching human spirit can penetrate the unfathomable mystery of Godforsakenness of the dying God/Man. But Jesus can give His friends a taste of this utmost bitterness...

A 'Scientia Crucis,' (knowledge of the cross) one can only acquire by getting to feel the cross thoroughly. Of that, I was convinced from the first moment and have said with all my heart: Ave, crux, spes unica (Welcome, cross, our only hope)."


+   +   +

I look at Palm Sunday as a sort of reset button.

No matter what this Lent has been about, no matter what I’ve done or not done well, no matter what my intentions were five weeks ago—I can give myself fully to this coming week.

So if you are like me and you’re wondering if it’s too late, I’m here to remind you that it’s only the beginning.

This is Holy Week.

Look at the rest of this week with new eyes.

Say yes to the quiet moments. They’re everywhere!

Look at your Bible (or daily readings) before you look at your phone in the mornings (Pope Francis’ suggestion, not mine!).

Take time to read the Passion story... perhaps watch "The Passion" movie.

Pray.

Spread joy -- in whatever circumstance you find yourself in this week.

Celebrate the Triduum… Thursday’s Mass of the Lord’s Supper… Friday’s Adoration of the Cross… and yes, if at all possible, go to the Easter Vigil.  It is the most beautiful liturgy of the whole Liturgical year!

[this post is a slightly modified repeat from April 9, 2017!]






No comments:

Post a Comment